Thursday, January 22, 2009

Meet Macy!

Happy 5th Birthday, Macy!!! This is a cute picture of her in the outfit I made for her birthday, which was November 18th. Her birthday was low key and we didn't have a party, but in "Macy's World" every day is a party! Macy is just one of those happy-go-lucky girls. She is accepting and makes friends wherever she goes. The sun always shines on her and she has a positive outlook on everything. I don't think Macy has ever been sad a day in her life! What a blessing she is to our family! However, there was one little snag to Macy turning 5 years old. Ever since Markie started school in 2007, Macy wanted to know when she would get to go. Our response was always, "When you are 5". The day after her birthday, she woke up and got ready to go to school, and as you can imagine, she was very disappointed that she couldn't go. It took a lot of explaining about when a school year starts, and even though she didn't really understand, she accepted it. She still asks occasionally why she can't go to school, and after answering her, she still replies..."But Mommy, I'm 5 now". Moral of this story: watch what you say to Macy, because she takes everything literally. Another story about Macy that will forever make me smile...Me and the kids had driven to Dallas (from Corpus) to visit my family. We had just left my Grandma's house to drive back home and had stopped at a gas station to fill up. While filling up, Monte called to tell me there were storms all along my route back to Corpus, so maybe I should stay one more day in Dallas. I replied with, "I wished you'd called and told me that 30 minutes ago before I packed the kids up and stuff. You know Macy's gonna have a cow when I tell her." Not 2 seconds after I said it, Macy pipes up from the back of the van in an excited voice saying, "Markie, guess what...I'm gonna have a COW!" and she laughs and giggles about the prospect of getting a real cow! It's totally, classically MACY! She brings smiles to everyone she meets! One last story about my sweet Macy... when I say she is accepting of everyone, it's literally the truth. Her eyes don't see any difference between herself and anyone else. About 6 months ago, or so, I had taken the kids to Arctic Circle to eat lunch and play in the playplace. Along came a girl, probably about 7 or 8 years old, in a wheelchair with mental and physical disabilities. She had a nurse with her as well as her mom. You could tell the nurse loved this little girl very much as she got the little girl out of the wheelchair and put her on the floor to "play" with her. Most kids in the playplace shied away from her, but not my sweet Macy. She didn't see anything different about the girl-all she saw was a new friend and so she went right up to her and said "Hi, I'm Macy!" The nurse told the little girls name, since she couldn't communicate well, but that didn't stop Macy, she kept the one-sided conversation going and played with the little girl on the floor until it was time to leave. She never once asked what was wrong with the little girl, or why she couldn't stand, or speak. She was open and accepting and loving. For a mom, that is the most precious thing to witness. When the gospel says "to become as a child", Macy is the perfect example to me. I love my Macy and I hope and pray that as she grows older, her personality and sweet, special spirit stays the same. Happy Birthday My Sweetheart!


2 comments:

THE RAINES FAMILY said...

Those are very sweet stories

Uncle Todd said...

I like Macy even more after reading that story about her.